Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Time to start fresh

I feel like I've neglected this poor blog all summer...well I don't feel, I know I have. The summer hasn't been one of the great productivity I had hoped for but at the same time, it definitely has been a good one and one that has flown by; considering I'm moving back to school this coming Saturday.

With a relaxing family trip to Tennessee that happened in July, as well as the return to my job at the local Dunkin' Donuts, came a few ideas for inspiration for the 2-quarter film I will be making upon the return to school. This time, it will be my first 3D (rather CG) production which I have to admit I'm a little nervous for; considering all of my films have been the traditional hand-drawn (because in my eyes, I can control that a lot more). It's hard with this film not only for coming up with an idea but it will be my first venture working with someone else which can prove to be a bit difficult if you're not on the same page from the very beginning. The other issue I have is deciding what type of product I want to make; do I want to focus on character animation and let the story suffer? Do I want to focus on special effects? And it goes on and on from there...

The advice I've gotten even in the previous films I've made is to make a self-contained story that isn't too complex and that expresses what you really want to express, in this case character animation and modeling; as those are the two areas in 3D I would like to focus my attention. It's amazing how difficult it can be to make a film with one character who shows a character change as well as a story which isn't too simple. Needless to say, for someone who struggles with stories, it's not the easiest thing. However I've really been challenging myself to think out of the box with this film and I've actually come up with some good ideas; some of which if they're not produced into a film, they can definitely be used as exercises.

It's hard to believe it's almost school time again but I'm so looking forward to it like I always do and this time without the "in-person" help of some of my best friends who have graduated, it is up to me to make a fantastic film and be the mentor to the new kids. It's an interesting feeling, and one that I hope to be successful at.

No comments:

Post a Comment